5 Reasons why you should invest in heirloom jewelry + how to get started
We all have special jewelry pieces that were passed down to us by members in our family who treasured them during different phases of their lives. Behind every heirloom piece, there is a story that begs to be told, a memory worth passing down and of course there's value associated with it. By definition heirloom is a valuable object that has been in a family for generations.
My own family heirloom comes from my father - a gold signet ring beautifully hand engraved with the letter E given to me on my wedding day. My parents purchased this ring along with another for my mother as a wedding anniversary gift for each other. It hold a special meaning for me because it holds memories of their love, dedication and happy life together. I love that this rings connects me with my family and our history. I already plan to pass it down to my oldest son who is named after my father.
Jewelry makes for a perfect heirloom and if chosen thoughtfully, a quality piece of jewelry can be enjoyed and cherished for a long time. We've put together 5 reasons why investing in an heirloom piece is a great idea.
1. It helps tell a story - jewelry is personal to each person. Our classic silhouette charm necklace helps moms keep memories of their children close. They capture a moment in time and celebrate important milestones in their lives. Sometimes they even represent a way to commemorate loss.
2. Strengthens family ties - It's amazing how a piece of jewelry can hold so much meaning when it's given to you by a dear family member. There is something so special about a tradition being passed down through an heirloom piece given to you by the previous generation.
3. Holds its value - Not every piece of jewelry qualifies as an heirloom. A valuable heirloom piece will hold its value over time. In order for this to happen it has to be crafted from precious metals and birthstones like diamonds, pearls, rubies and sapphires. These materials no only give timeless value to the piece but will withstand daily wear beautifully.
4. It brings you joy - Unlike some other forms of investments (a house or stocks) an heirloom piece brings you joy when you wear it. No matter the price, if it makes you happy, you should enjoy wearing it every day.
5. It helps you start your own family heirloom - We pride ourselves for crafting meaningful pieces that help tell people's stories and celebrate life's special moments. There is no doubt you will be passing them down to the next generation. Why not get started now with your heirloom piece? You'll get to enjoy it in the process too.
We asked our customers to share a few tips on how they got started with investing in their first VCS heirloom pieces. Here's what some of them had to say:
- Start with something small you can afford. You can add to it and build over time.
- Combine a few holidays like birthday and Mother's Day and invest in a more substantial piece you know you'll love.
- Ask for gift cards as gifts and save them up to redeem on the piece you love. You can use as many gift cards as you wish.
- Save up for it for a few months (one customer started putting aside a few months of what used to be car payments after she paid off her car).
- Use the option to pay with Affirm (you can split your purchase into 3 or more payments).
Heirloom jewelry is meant to be treasured and passed down. We look forward to helping you build your first or next VCS heirloom piece.